Friday, July 31, 2009

And then there were ribs--and BEER

Show me someone who doesn't get slayed by the smell of BBQ cooking, low and slow over a pit, and I will show you someone who hasn't yet lived. I had a small BBQ catering business in Cape Coral, Florida and when I stoked up my catering pit, people stopped. While cooking for a charity competition fishing tournament, a German pilot for a commercial airlines stopped by. His eyes lit up like lightning piercing a darkened sky when I lifted the hood to my pit for a peek. Baby back ribs, brisket, pork butt, sausage, and corn on the cob slowly being smoked over the sweetness of mesquite elicted his best Arnold Schwarnegger impression of " I'll be back." As a BBQ man these are the moments you live for.
Now I don't live in Cape Coral, Florida any longer, I'm back In Texas, heart of BBQ territory although I'm sure those in Kansas City and North carolina would argue over that. No matter, wherever you are BBQ brings good folks together. Don't foget the ice cold beer, cause that's when the party starts! May the Q be with You!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you remembered to mention the beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thxs Bob, don't know how I left that out

    ReplyDelete